Tuesday, August 23, 2016


RIO RETROSPECTIVE CONTINUED:  

Marquette & NMU OEC's Helen Maroulis becomes first USA woman to win freestyle wrestling gold



 

Rio de Janeiro — It took a moment for Helen Maroulis’ accomplishment to sink in.
The American defeated Japan’s Saori Yoshida, 4-1, in the 53-kilogram freestyle final to win the first gold medal for a United States female wrestler and derail Yoshida’s quest for a fourth straight gold.

It evoked memories of American Greco-Roman wrestler Rulon Gardner’s victory over three-time gold medalist Aleksandr Karelin at the 2000 Olympics.

Maroulis celebrated Thursday’s victory by leaping into coach Valentin Kalika’s arms, then running around the mat in a circle and gripping the United States flag with both hands while it was draped over her back.

“At the end of it, I was like, ‘Really, I just did this?” said Maroulis, who left her home in Maryland to finish high school in Marquette, where she trained at the U.S. Olympic Education Center. “Like, oh, my gosh!’”

Yoshida was trying to become the second woman to win four Olympic gold medals in a single event across four Summer Games, and the second wrestler to win four Olympic golds. Yoshida’s teammate, Kaori Icho, accomplished the feats Wednesday by winning the 58 kilogram gold. Yoshida hadn’t lost in a major tournament in 12 years. 

“It’s an honor to wrestle Yoshida,” said Maroulis, who hasn’t lost in two years. “For someone to win three gold medals and come back and risk that and accept that challenge to win a fourth — that’s another four years of work, dedication, of giving your life to the sport.”

Yoshida made no excuses when asked why she lost.

“Just that the opponent is stronger than me,” she said. “I should have attacked sooner and faster, but the opponent was stronger than me.”

Maroulis said her coach played a key role in the victory. But even with the plan in place, she became a bit tense before the start.

“I’m stepping on the mat and I’m thinking, ‘I don’t even know how this is going to get done. I don’t know. I’m just going to trust, and I just want to give my all,’” said Maroulis, who lives in Southern California.

Maroulis fell behind 1-0, but a takedown early in the second period gave her the lead for good.

I’ve dreamed of this my whole life,” Maroulis said. “I put it on this pedestal.”
 

No comments: