Every player entering his fifth year in Michigan's football program would have to audition during spring practice to remain on the team, tight end Keith Heitzman told the Columbus Dispatch.

Heitzman was one such player. He was redshirted as a freshman in 2011, then earned varsity letters in 2012, 2013 and 2014, appearing in 36 games.

"Obviously, (Jim) Harbaugh coming in was going to change things at Michigan — do things his way," Heitzman told the Dispatch. "But I didn't know if I wanted to try out. That definitely took me off-guard. I was bummed out."

Heitzman (6-4, 255), from Hilliard, Ohio, decided to transfer to Ohio University. He will be a graduate student with the Bobcats and will use his final season of college eligibility this year.
"I explored my options and got excited knowing there were other opportunities for me out there," Heitzman said.

Heitzman told the Dispatch he will pursue his masters degree in recreational sports sciences.
Quarterback Russell Bellomy (Texas-San Antonio) and running back Justice Hayes (Southern Mississippi) are two other fifth-year players who have transferred from Michigan since Harbaugh's arrival.