Wednesday, March 13, 2013


COACH DRISCOLL'S 2012
NMU SPORTS HALL OF FAME (SHOF) 
ACCEPTANCE LETTER

 

 To:  All assembled for the 2012 NMU Student-Athlete Awards Banquet and Sports Hall of Fame Induction.

     I am very excited, honored, humbled and proud to join the company of the NMU Hall of Fame.

     It is indeed a high honor to be included in the 2012 class with three of NMU’s finest athletes - Kris, Lindsay and Maurice.

     I know personally of Maurice Mitchell’s prowess as a great receiver.  In the first game of the 1976 season after winning the National Championship in 1975, Maurice torched us for 2 TD’s in a 14-9 NMU win over North Dakota State.  I was at that time the defensive back coach for the Bison!



     It is important to thank the people involved in my nomination, especially former Wildcats Paul Schield, Jerry Woods, Jerry Rosburg and Rich Tegge.  Also, gratitude goes to the Hall of Fame Committee, all of you here tonight, and all of the Wildcat Nation.

     A special thanks to my wife of almost 50 years, Mary Jo, and to our family, Kathy, Steve, Debbie and Tim.  Without their understanding, enduring the many hours spent coaching, it would have been impossible.  I am especially grateful for their commitment to being part of the journey and accepting coaches, players and staff as part of our extended family.

     A huge reason for any success achieved over 40 years of coaching lies with the skill and loyalty of what I consider extended family.

      I owe so much to those who coached me during my playing days.  It seems like every season I appreciated more how lucky I was to have learned from these dedicated men.

     Coaches that I worked with at every job, along with administrative, secretarial, equipment and training staffs, became like brothers and sisters.  These associations are cherished as are the many fond memories of our work together in preparation for competition.

     Finally, I must thank all the great players that I have had the privilege to coach over the years.  Their commitment, dedication, discipline, effort, courage and very hard work is noted and appreciated.

 
     Especially at NMU, it seems that the closeness of all our staff and families was real.  I remember an extremely hard working staff, coaches and players.  It was a time of one for all and all for one.  Every sport was very successful!  I must salute Hall of Fame administrators Tom Peters and Gildo Canale.




 
     At NMU, I was blessed to be a member of great football staffs.  To coach with true Hall of Fame coaches, Rademacher, Nystrom, Grenke, Sandona, Awrey and Jurasin, was very special.  We all worked very hard and had each other’s back.

 
     No coach or team could ever be successful without good players.  Our players were not all great athletes, most ranged from good to very good, but all were committed to excellence.  In season and off season, work was done with the utmost effort and enthusiasm.  Without this great effort by our players, probably none of us coachs in the Hall would be honored with this wonderful award.

     Thank you all so very much.  I am truly honored and humbled.  Congratulations to my fellow classmates … I do wish I could be with you all tonight!

 
                                                Sincerely,

 

                                                Coach Jim Driscoll

    

 

 

No comments: